Two decades ago, a commission chaired by Jimmy Carter and James Baker III proposed sensible election reforms. Today’s Democrats oppose them all.
Believe it or not, the nation could learn a few things about how to run elections from Jimmy Carter.
In 2005, Carter co-authored a study on America’s election systems with James Baker III, who ran George H.W. Bush’s 1980 primary campaign against Carter and later served as Ronald Reagan’s treasury secretary and chief of staff. The resulting Baker-Carter Commission report still stands as a monument to how to run free, fair, transparent elections—which makes it all the sadder that today’s leftists bitterly oppose everything the report proposed.
For example, the Baker-Carter report warned about mail-in ballots, flatly contradicting the views held by today’s leftists that vote by mail is key to increasing voter participation. Baker-Carter says otherwise: “While vote-by-mail appears to increase turnout for local elections, there is no evidence that it significantly expands participation in federal elections.” (Recent studies suggest the same.)
Those activists also claim that vote-by-mail and private collection bins helped make 2020 the “most secure election in U.S. history.” Baker-Carter: “Vote-by-mail is . . . likely to increase the risks of fraud and of contested elections” in the states, especially where the “safeguards for ballot integrity are weaker.”
In short, mail-in ballots can work in some spots, but not everywhere—particularly in areas with a high risk of ballot trafficking.
Instead, Baker-Carter proposed five pillars as the foundation of a “modern electoral system”:
- “A universal and up-to-date [voter] registration list,”
- “A uniform voter identification system that . . . increases, not impedes, participation,”
- “Measures to enhance ballot integrity and voter access,”
- “A voter-verifiable paper trail and improved security of voting systems,” and
- “Electoral institutions that are impartial, professional, and independent.”
Anyone familiar with today’s election battles knows that the Left has consistently opposed all these measures.
The Electoral System We Have
The states’ voter rolls are notoriously flawed, riddled with the names of people who’ve died or moved. Efforts to clean them up have been attacked by Democrats. For example, as one of the last acts of the Obama administration, Attorney General Eric Holder’s Justice Department tried to block Ohio from purging its voter rolls, claiming it would discourage minority turnout. (Trump officials reversed the federal government’s position in 2017, and the Supreme Court upheld Ohio’s practice a year later.)
Improving voter access is about the only recommendation on this list that today’s Left supports—but not if it means improving ballot integrity and security. Democrats went all in on mail-in ballots to defeat President Trump in 2020, effectively turning it into the country’s first all-mail election in many places. Yet mail-in and absentee ballots are extremely vulnerable to ballot harvesting since there’s rarely any oversight from the time the ballots are sent out to when election officials collect them. In many cases, establishing a paper trail is impossible, particularly in places with privately funded drop boxes, which enable illegal ballot harvesters to prey on the poor and elderly, claiming to “assist” while really stealing their votes.
In the last election, we learned just how far left-wing activists will go to taint election offices when the Mark Zuckerberg–funded Center for Tech and Civic Life (CTCL) dumped $350 million into thousands of local elections offices in the fall of 2020. These COVID-19 “relief grants” effectively privatized the election in battleground states, including Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Georgia, where “Zuck bucks” overwhelmingly favored Democratic vote-rich counties.
For example, in Georgia, we found that CTCL spent an average of $5.33 per capita in Biden counties and only $1.41 in Trump counties. Over 94 percent of the $42 million in Zuck bucks that flowed to Georgia went to counties Biden won.
I doubt that even CTCL believes that private money from a partisan mega-donor encourages “electoral institutions that are impartial, professional, and independent.”
But Wait, There’s More
The Baker-Carter report was paid for by a set of liberal foundations, many with familiar names: Carnegie Corporation of New York, Ford Foundation, Knight Foundation, and the Omidyar Network, which is bankrolled by eBay founder and liberal billionaire Pierre Omidyar.
Omidyar himself sits on the board of Nonprofit VOTE, which registers voters to advance “racial equity.” Speaking of Hawaii specifically, Omidyar et al. tellingly argued, “If we want to get out the vote, we’ve got to mail it in.”
We’ve traced grants from these foundations to a host of groups demanding Americans oppose the very policies proposed in the Baker-Carter report:
- State Voices, which coordinates get-out-the-vote campaigns among likely Democratic voters and endorsed the John Lewis Voting Rights Act (H.R. 4), which would give the Justice Department control of the redistricting process in many (mostly Southern) states.
- Rock the Vote, which registers young, left-leaning voters to push for socialized health care, abortion rights, and legalizing marijuana and encouraged them to vote by mail in 2020.
- National Vote at Home Institute, one of the top groups responsible for normalizing vote by mail on the Left. Its former head, Amber McReynolds, sits on the oversight board for the U.S. Postal Service with the aim of transforming it into the Democrats’ premier mail-in ballot machine.
- Demos, which wants federal agencies to register voters for mail-in ballots and to spend $10 billion to expand vote-by-mail nationwide.
- Center for Tech and Civic Life (CTCL), which spent roughly $350 million to virtually privatize the 2020 election in key battleground states.
- Center for Election Innovation and Research (CEIR), which accepted close to $70 million from Mark Zuckerberg to fund state get-out-the-vote and “voter education” drives in 2020. CEIR is run by David Becker, a former activist for the far-left group People for the American Way. We’ve traced its grants to a $2 million campaign to turn out Democratic-leaning voters in Baltimore and counties neighboring Washington, DC.
- Center for Civic Design, which redesigns ballots to help Democratic voters, particularly non-English speakers. One of its key recommendations to policymakers: permanent vote by mail, with advice from its partner the National Vote at Home Institute.
- Trusted Elections Fund, a “pop-up” campaign run by the Arabella Advisors “dark money” network. A secret donors’ memo reveals the group’s goal to stop “viral misinformation” and “post-Election Day violence” by angry Trump supporters.
- Safe Voting Fund, another Arabella-run “pop-up” that promoted vote by mail to keep voting “safe” in 2020.
- Center for Secure and Modern Elections (CSME), which demands automatic voter registration and hired Democratic consultants to help funnel Zuck bucks to county elections officials in at least two states in 2020.
- Secure Democracy, which wants more drop boxes for mail-in ballots, looser absentee voting laws, and restoration of voting rights to felons.
But this shouldn’t surprise anyone who paid attention to the last election cycle and the Left’s shenanigans.
Are you fed up? Are you worried that America in rapidly sliding into a neo-Marxist state by the radical left in control of Washington with historically narrow majorities in the U.S. House and Senate and an Executive controlled by unnamed far leftists in place of a clinically incompetent President Biden? They are desperate to keep power and complete their radical progressive agenda that will change America and our liberty forever.
Americans just witnessed the passage of the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 without one Republican vote in the U.S. Senate and House (just as Obamacare was passed in 2010). The IRS will be hiring 87,000 new agents, many armed, to terrorize American taxpayers.
Americans witnessed the FBI raid at the Trump Mar-A-Lago home and property of President Trump, truly a first in all of American history. We know what that is about.
It is undeniable that the Democrat Party and the administrative state (the executive branches of the DOJ, FBI, IRS, et al) are clear and present dangers to our Republic and our liberty as they increasingly veer further away from the rule of law and the Constitution. What is the solution? At this critical juncture, there is only one action we can all take.
The only viable and timely solution at this critical point is to vote – yes, vote correctly and smartly to retake the U.S. House and Senate on November 8th and to prepare the way to retake the White House in two years. Vote and help everyone you know to vote. Please click the TAKE ACTION link below – we must vote correctly and in great numbers to be sure our votes are counted to diminish the potential for the left to rig and steal the midterms and the 2024 elections as they are clearly intending to do after their success in 2020.